Looking for an easy, inexpensive and sweet way to impress your mom this Mother's Day? Well we found the perfect dessert to make...rustic lemon tarts! With only 4 ingredients and only requiring the slightest amount of baking prowess, these miniature lemon tarts will have your mom oohing and ahhing over their bite size appeal. Little does she know those cute tarts only took you about 20 minutes and cost you under $10!
- 1 package of frozen dough (you can find them from most markets or grocery stores, but be careful not to buy the gluten free kind unless absolutely necessary because it tends to fall apart)
- 1/2 can of condensed milk
- juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar
- mini cupcake pans with 24 cupcake spaces
- parchment paper and rolling pin
1. Take out the frozen dough and let it thaw for about half an hour at room temperature. Once thawed, flatten with a rolling pin or with your hands until a medium thin sheet is formed.
2. Take a small ball of dough and place into the inside of the cupcake form. Use your fingers to spread the dough into the cavity of the cupcake mold to create a cup shape. Don't worry if the dough is not spread perfectly even, imperfections add to the rustic look of the tarts.
3. Pour half a can of condensed milk into a blender. Squeeze the juice of two lemons (preferably Tahiti lemons, but any kind will do in a pinch) into the blender (make sure to remove all seeds). Then whip the mixture in the blender until smooth to make the lemon mousse. If the mixture is too watery, feel free to add a small amount of powdered sugar to thicken the mixture.
4. Poke small holes with a fork in each of the bottoms of the dough in the cupcake tins. Bake at 180 degrees for about 5-7 minutes or until golden colored. After cooling, remove from cupcake tin to a plate.
5. Fill each tart shell with lemon mousse.
6. Sprinkle the powdered sugar over the lemon tarts for a little decoration and you're done! We added grated lemon zest to the tops of the lemon tarts for some added natural color, but this step is completely optional.
We've decided to revive our blog with the release of our Colombia Capsule Collection! Traveling and beautiful jewelry are two of our biggest passions so it only made sense to combine them. While exploring Cartagena to curate our favorite pieces from local artisans for our collection, we also found the best places to eat, drink, and shop! Here are our absolute favorites...